Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Smashbomb Atomic IPA

Smashbomb Atomic IPA

Flying Monkey Craft Brewery, Barrie, Ontario, Canada - India Pale Ale
Tuesday 13 March 2012 – 6%Alc./Vol.    84 / 100

Initial Thoughts
Wow! This is going to be fun, I can tell already. The packaging from Flying Monkey is refreshingly unlike the vast expanse of largely “safe” and “traditional” presentations in beer. Colourful, wild graphics. “Normal is weird”. I couldn’t agree more... Let’s get this party started! A nice reddish, medium to dark tint with just a hint of fogginess. Modest head. 
First Sip
Back the truck up! This has a fascinating fragrant quality. It’s sweet and familiar... finally it comes to me: Lychee! Amazing nose on this IPA! The tongue finds a confident hop punchiness right off the bat... the lychee is still there but seems to have been joined by grapefruit... Fun stuff!
Halfway Through
This is an adventure in 12 ounces! Loads of flavours wrestling in my mouth and I like it!
Bottoms Up
Toward the end the Smashbomb mellows a bit. Could be the effect of the ethanol content, but whatever the case it’s a really fun experience. The strong bitterness is unapologetic from start to finish. The fruit comes in fast and furious, but mellows to a nice vague enjoyable sweetness. An incredibly crafted beer make no mistake. This is no wallflower, but that was clear from the label... Definitely one of the best smelling (okay, and tasting) beers available!
More information...

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of the flying monkeys, hoptical illusion is one of my faves.
    I have never dissected it quite the way you do but, I am now anxious to try this one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete